Friday, April 12, 2013

Vegetarian chili

I thought I would share a recipe I adapted from another blogger that I found on Pinterest.  I know, I know... but this wasn't a Pinterest fail!  It was good.  I made it, the kids LOVED it, the hubby LOVED it, so what more is there to love??

So here goes my first "how to recipe".  A concise recipe will follow at the end, so feel free to scroll down there the way I normally do with most blogs.

I diced up 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 yellow onion, and 2 bell peppers (I did one yellow and one red).


Sauté all the veggies together in a good sized pot (mine holds 3 quarts) in approximately 1 tbsp of olive oil.


Meanwhile, I dicing up about a cup of carrots...


and then added those to the veggies already cooking.  (Some S&P went on top of that too at this time.  I once heard that the salt helps the veggies "sweat" so I just do that when I cook now)


Season the veggies with your "chili" seasonings.  1 tbsp cumin, chili powder, oregano, and unsweetened cocoa all gets added to the mix of veggies.  Again, I heard you should sauté your seasonings because it brings out their real flavor.... Also again, not sure if it's true but I do it! 


Dump in a bunch of canned beans (drained except for the chili beans) and tomatoes.


Simmer for about 45 minutes and enjoy!  We had our chili with some cornbread waffles, the kids had theirs topped with cheese!



Vegetarian Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced 
2 bell peppers, chopped 
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder1 tablespoon oregano
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of chili beans (DON'T DRAIN)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz), with juice
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add in garlic, carrots, peppers, and onion, stirring frequently.  After 5 minutes add S&P, and all seasonings.  After another 5 minutes, add drained beans, chili beans, and tomatoes.  Stir and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.  Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from A Bitchin' Kitchen






No comments:

Post a Comment