Thursday, April 11, 2013

Menu Monday, a few days late

What a week it's been so far.  I worked the past weekend (6-7).  It was steady, no ridiculous influx of babies at the hospital thankfully.  I am precepting a new intern, and she rocks!  She is on week 8 and doing so well.  I kind of attribute it to myself since I'm the one training her, but it does help that she is sharp and on track where she should be as a new nurse recently graduated from school.  

Last Thursday I decided it was due time to cut out the coffee and cheese from my diet.  The headaches were getting ridiculous.  By the weekend I was packing fruits and veggies again for work.  By Wednesday morning I woke up for work without a headache.  What an amazing feeling, ya'll!  I have come to grips that I just can't eat any crap in my diet or I feel so shitty.  Caffeine seems to be a big trigger, which is ironic since people tend to say their headaches are cured by a nice cup o' joe.  

So since this is Menu Monday (a few days late), I'll just post what we have had and will have the remainder of the week. 

Sunday- We ended up having the chorizo and potato tacos this day.  They were really tasty, but greasy. The kids ate it up, including the 4 y.o. (who hates potatoes!) 
Monday- Penne pasta with marinara sauce
Tuesday- Hamburgers with steamed broccoli and cauliflower
Wednesday- Turkey sausage sautéed with bell peppers and fruit (grapes)
Friday- Pork tenderloin chops with peas and fruit
Saturday- going out to eat, probably pizza to celebrate with 8 y.o. and her BFF staying the night

We are really just eating a lot of fruits, veggies, and lean meats.  Although I am trying to still make a few meatless meals (Monday and today for example).  Our fridge is stocked full of tons of healthy stuff.  We buy a lot of cow's milk for the kids (1% for the girls, whole for the boy).  The hubby and I drink Almond Milk, although I recently went out on a limb and bought coconut milk.  Almond butter, Odwalla Superfood (for my quick breakfasts), and loads of colorful fruits and veggies (easily accessible for little hands to reach for a snack).  There is a Hershey bar in there, but it's the 8 y.o.'s!  Something she got with her birthday card from the hubs and me :)


We really have done well this week eating wise.  That said, I CAN NOT wait to make the cornbread waffles!  Thanks to the evil pinterest, I have figured out other ways to use my waffle maker!  Our favorite?  On Saturday or Sunday mornings every couple of weeks I will make cinnamon rolls in the waffle maker. So good!  Recently I saw you could put your hash browns in there.  Um, yum!  

So besides the few times we make something interesting in the waffle maker, dinners officially got a little more boring.  Boring in that there will probably be no more cheese products, and will probably not be some ridiculous cream of _____ laden pinterest recipe.  Enjoy the dinner ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I feel so much better now that I'm not eating dairy. It makes me feel so bloated and blah. I've found a lot of Paleo meals on Pinterest that are really yummy and kind of put my culinary skills to the test (the spicy honey chicken I pinned last week was SO good and the boys loved it).

    It may be boring, but it's good for you and at least you know what you're putting into your body...

    Good luck with the new intern!

    ReplyDelete