Friday, April 5, 2013

The internet: Love/Hate Relationship

Oh, internet.  I love you.

I love how you have brought so many fascinating things into my life.  I love pinterest for all it's evil time sucking ways.  All the ideas, recipes, home renovation possibilities... all that with mod podge!  I love how facebook brought me closer to friends I lost touch with or allowed me to keep up with after moving.

I love that you have provided a little corner where I can keep in touch with who wants to read up on my lame life.  (It's really just you BFG).  I love that I have a place where I can vent, post pictures, right memories of the kids.  My very own personal online journal.  Not personal though since it is posted all over you, internet.

But I hate you.

I hate how you steal my husband away from me.  I hate that his job revolves around you, and that you are connected to his phone 24 hours a day.  I hate how I can't just sit next to him without you sending an email that something broke.  I hate how every time he gets a tweet or a FB post/like/comment he is checking it right away.  I hate how my attention, my kids attention, has been put to the side because you are alerting him to something else, yet again.  And who the hell are these random women you are talking to on twitter?  Can I please have your attention, when you are at home, NOT HER?  Fuck her tweet, and fuck her.  Yes, it's just innocent tweeting, but I'm RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.  Can I have your attention, not her?  Why do you have to take the time to find a picture and tweet it to them?  How about your wife, who has repeatedly told you she wants attention?

Maybe it's his phone I hate more than hating you.  But ultimately it comes down to the internet.  I get so fed up with it, that I even say I'm going to quit the internet forever!  Maybe in hopes that I'll set an example in hopes that he will not be attached to the internet's hip.  But in reality, I can be guilty of it too.  I need an idea of something to make for dinner tonight.  And then OH!  Look at that cute kitchen.  I could totally do that to my kitchen too.

You and your blood sucking ways, internet!  Damn you!  I just want you to let go of my husband.  Maybe from 8-10pm?  I'm not asking much.  He can't quit you, you are his job, his source of income.  He's made that quite clear to me, that you will always be around 24/7.  But could you just leave him alone for a couple hours so I could have just a little bit of attention?  Please.

1 comment:

  1. Oh friend...

    I wish I could tell you how much easier it has been on us to not have the "internet problem" anymore. I don't miss it. At times, we feel out of the loop (like, last night I was all like "WHAT?!? Rodger Ebert died?"). Other times, people tell us how hard it is to stay in touch with us now that we're not on Facebook.

    But...life is so much easier now that we've turned it all off. Especially when we're all at home together. I wish I could put it all into words.

    Lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete