Monday, March 25, 2013

A very pinterest dinner

I'm a pretty frugal person.  My husband says "miser", but I say frugal.  With us preparing to buy a house, I'm trying to get us out of the habit of buying food out.  We don't do it often, but enough where it makes a difference financially if we just cut it out all together.  So last week I came up with a menu for the week.  It consisted of:

Breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit)
Spaghetti with meatballs (this is a staple in our house, we use frozen meatballs because we're rushed for time)
Shredded chicken tacos
Stir fry tofu and veggies with ginger brown rice (also another staple)
Quick "paninis" with salads

I think that's everything?  We tend to cook just enough food for our family of 5, and I eat off the leftovers for lunches.  The husbands work provides lunch everyday, kids in the daycare have all food provided, so it's pretty much all for me to finish.  Usually nothing goes to waste since, like I said, we cook enough for our family for dinner.  This week we have as follows:

Chicken cordon bleu cassserole - kids LOVE this one for some reason!
Enchiladas
Baked potato soup - uses cauliflower to reduce the calories/carbs
Chicken spaghetti - another old recipe that the kids ate up

Obviously, I've been on pinterest.  Clearly you can tell that from the recipes.  If it's got cheese and cream of _____ soup, it's probably on pinterest.  Not the healthiest of things for dinner, but the kids eat a lot and I can only handle so many different versions of steamed veggies/ sauteed veggies with baked chicken.  I do try and rotate something (or two) in the crock pot for dinners.  We usually have pizza and/or spaghetti once during the week.  Also we tend to have one soup or stew during the week.  We are a dual working parent so our meals tend to be quick, or crock pot, without a lot of variety.  Hoping by posting this I'll have a little more variety.  I am going to take a cue from one of the links above, and cook a ton of chicken in the crock pot to shred and freeze.  That would probably help make some more quick dinners (the enchiladas for example).  

So there you go, enjoy.  I know I will... my stomach is rumbling thinking about dinner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment