Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Forever A Patient

The boy had minor surgery today.  Tubes in his ears.  Been there, done that with the 8 y.o.  It was a weird experience today though.  Yes, I'm a nurse.  Yes, I know it's minor surgery.  But I'm a nurse and a mother.  My mind started running last night.  I only thought of the worst that could happen.  What if he reacts bad to the anesthesia?  Do they have a pedi crash cart?  Will they do everything they can?

I couldn't sleep.

Of course, I got there at 0615.  They said to be there at 0600, but sadly I knew the MD wouldn't be there until 0700 at the earliest (he actually got there at 0715) so I had a bit of an arrogant attitude.  The boy flirted with the nurses, and wanted to be put down.  I refused so he writhed in my arms until surgery time.  Then the anesthesiologist came in, did her deal, and before I knew it he was taken out of my arms.  The nurses commented how he didn't cry, but how could he?  She took him before either one
of us could say good bye.

I went to the waiting room, fixed some coffee from their Keureg, sat down and waited.  I waited long enough to drink 1/4 of my coffee only to see the MD coming out to say "All done!"

Seriously?  I lost sleep for nothing!  In all seriousness, I think what it all comes down to though is that I may be a nurse and know the ins and outs, but ultimately I'm a mother.  Being a nurse and a mother?  It's a curse.  You have too much knowledge about what could go wrong, and that's your baby someone else is watching over.

He did fine though, he's running all over the place as we speak.  My bag of mismatched socks is always tons of fun for him.  Here's hoping this cuts down on the ear infections.

No comments:

Post a Comment